Northwest Press is a small publishing house devoted to spotlighting the best in LGBT graphic novels and comics, and is focused on encouraging upcoming talent. As such, we welcome your submissions of completed comics to be published in print or in digital form.
Keep the following guidelines in mind:
- Northwest primarily publishes graphic novels and comics, and is not currently accepting submissions for prose work.
- All the material we publish has strong lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender content. This can either be explicit (stories about situations and struggles tied to the queer experience) or implicit (looking at more general situations through the lens of the queer person). Stories with only LGBT side characters and sub-plots, or “gay best friends” are generally not going to be a good fit for us.
- We’ve published about 3-4 print projects a year, and they have almost all been full-length graphic novels or collections (120-240 pages). We do not publish print editions of episodic or single-issue comics (stapled, or “floppies”), except in rare cases.
- We can and do publish shorter pieces as digital comics, and are actively seeking new and previously-published work to release digitally. Our digital distribution agreements include very favorable royalty rates, are non-exclusive, and terminate on request.
- Northwest provides a significant per-copy royalty, as well as an advance against royalties prior to publication. Payments are sent four times a year.
- While we might commission cover art or provide assistance to polish projects, we do not assemble creative teams to create new works. Your submission should not be a pitch, but be a complete or very near complete work before submitting. Feel free to ask us if your potential project is the kind of book we might publish, but don’t expect an agreement to publish until the work is substantially complete.
Please send a cover letter and PDF of the work to email@example.com. You may also provide a download link in lieu of an attached file.
Submissions may be sent by mail to:
Charles “Zan” Christensen
PO Box 84163
Seattle, WA 98124
If you want your materials to be returned after review, please include a self-addressed, postage-paid envelope.